The best thing about writing jobs on the Internet is that there will never be a shortage of opportunities for you. That is one thing that I learned.
While websites need the technical mind to function, they equally need content to be able to stay ahead in the search engine optimization game. Without great content, the chances of a website being popular and relevant are very slim.
Not only that, content knows no boundaries. All niches need content. Regardless of the format and target market, you need a written content to send out a message.
To top it all, people log on the Internet to get information. Whether that is to share or acquire information, I realized that information is central to why we all hang out on the Internet. We look for information about something that interests us, we read about what our peers are doing and we research about anything new. All of these information need a writer to put the message into readable articles.
Internet writing is quite different from what you used to do in school. For one, the people reading your entry have a very short attention span. You need to go straight to the point otherwise, they will turn their attention on another writer’s piece.
Best Writing Jobs Online
If I list down all the writing jobs that you can do online, it might take a few hours for you to finish reading this article. So let me just list the few jobs that I encountered online.
There are two paths that you can take: a writing job or a writing career. Allow me to define the difference.
I’d like to think of a writing job as an arrangement wherein you have an employer. Someone pays you for every written output that you submit. On the other hand, a writing career is when you benefit from the profits of written products.
Getting Writing Jobs
Let us begin with writing jobs. Here is a list of jobs that you can get as an online writer.
1. Article/Content Writer. This job requires you to create informative articles that are subjective in nature. These are the keyword optimized written pieces that search engines tag. Actually, this is a very broad job. I started my online career by being an article writer for various niches.
2. Ghostwriter. A ghostwriter is someone who writes under someone else’s name. This type of writing job involves articles that are either subjective or objective – depending on the person you are ghostwriting for and the subject. This is actually a bit tricky. If your employer is a blog writer, you need to incorporate a bit of their personality – otherwise, it wouldn’t appear to their own work. You need to squeeze in a bit of anecdote or two about their lives to make the written entry more authentic.
3. Copywriter. A copywriter is someone who writes to represent something. It can be like giving a voice to a company so their identity is properly embodied in every caption and text.
Pursuing a Writing Career
For a writing career, it begins with marketing what you know and channelling them into words. Here are a few suggestions to what you can do to earn off a writing career.
1. Create a Blog Site. This can be like your personal journal. It doesn’t have to be sophisticated. However, it has to more than just a jumble of thoughts from your head. When you create a blog, think about what you will represent through that blog. For instance, my blog is concentrated on earning a living from home. I’m not implying that I am already an expert on this field as I have a long way to go. But I do have something substantial to write about because I’m living what I write. There is nothing more authentic than writing about your own experiences. To earn from it, you have to place a bit of advertisement here and there (relevant to your niche of course). That is easy with Google Adsense. As the traffic on your blog site increases, you get to enjoy the rewards of advertising commissions from Adsense.
2. Write an Ebook. Another thing you can do is to write an Ebook. Again, this has to be something that you know so you have something to preach. The good thing about this is it is a one-time effort and the rewards can last for as long as it can. You can post it on Kindle or Amazon to sell. This is a great passive income generator. The key to succeed is to promote the book and your credibility as its author.
There are more writing jobs that you can go into. Just remember to find that niche that you feel comfortable in. Try to get as much experience as you can, absorb knowledge from your employers and apply it to your life and future career. Though it’s true that everything can be researched, nothing beats writing from experience as it comes from what your heart dictates.